Saturday, August 23, 2008

He said what??!!

This past week, my husband, Mike, was talking to a gentleman whom I would say is in his mid 60's. I must mention that this is a man that I have a lot of respect for and is a kind, fun loving guy. They got into the conversation of Molly and how well she seems to be doing. He then started talking about another family who also has a child with Down Syndrome and said, "their mongoloid can swim to the raft in no time at all." Being that I was born in the 70's, not really understanding what the term "mongoloid" meant, I laughed. I laughed that he was naive enough to use this term so lightly in the new millennium; after all, I find this man to be quite entertaining and laugh at his comments on a regular basis. I know enough that it was a term they used to describe DS children in the 60's. I told Mike that I think that is was an offensive term like the "R" word. Mike thought is was worse. I can't imagine that because now days the "R" word sends shivers down my spine. So...I googled the definition:

Monogloid: Anthropology Of or being a major human racial classification traditionally distinguished by physical characteristics such as yellowish-brown skin pigmentation, straight black hair, dark eyes with pronounced epicanthic folds, and prominent cheekbones and including peoples indigenous to central or eastern Asia.

also offensive: Adj: of relating to Down syndrome. noun: A person affected by Down Syndrome.

Enough said. I guess I need to gently break it to my friend that he should stick to the term "Down Syndrome".

1 comment:

Jennie said...

Wow. I wouldn't know what to say if someone said that to me.