Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Happy Birthday, Ladies!

Wow! My baby girls are TWO today! Thinking back to when and how I found out I was pregnant with twins:

1) Found out I was pregnant (OK--this is good! No troubles getting pregnant--yeah!)
2) Went in for an ultrasound at 8 weeks to check "viability and dates" (I recently sustained a miscarriage and was "paranoid" for this pregnancy)
3) I am alone, all alone in that ultrasound room as Mike had to work a night shift the night before
4) The ultrasound tech says to me, "First off, I want to tell you that you are having twins...." (the room goes black--what?? What did she say?
5) The sobbing begins. No, the hysteria begins! I am crying so hard the tech can hardly do her job. She asks me if I am OK. I say, "NO!!!!!" OMG! What have I done?? Are you kidding me?? We don't have twins in our family? Are you sure? OMG! Will they be full term?? How will I ever breastfeed TWO babies at once! OMG!
6) She sends me on my way with pictures of my two little beans that I instantly fall in love with. (BTW: They had hearbeats of 180 and had all the needed parts to continue with pregnancy)
7) I call Mike (he doesn't answer, of course; he is sleeping!)
I call my sister in law Lea! She says "OMG! I didn't know you were pregnant!"
I call Mike (he doesn't answer, of course; he is sleeping!)
I call my sister and she doesn't answer.
I call Mike (he doesn't answer, of course; he is sleeping!)
I call my BFF, Jen. She says, "OMG! Are you kidding me??"
I call Mike (he doesn't answer, of course; he is sleeping!)
I call my mother in law. She says, "Yeah! I am so excited!"
I call Mike (he doesn't answer, of course; he is sleeping!)
Breathe, breathe, breathe......

Dear Miss Mag Pie,
You are definitely the big sister. I love your energy, amazing vocabulary, and your beautiful, beautiful smile that lights up the room. You looked so familiar when you arrived; you are a spitting image of your big brother Gavin. Your nose! OMG! I love , love, love your cute little button nose! I could stare at it all day long! Happy Birthday, Big Girl! Mama and dada love you to the moon!!

Dear Miss Molly,
Oh, Miss Molly! And you! You definitely are the baby and I just love that about you. I love how you take your sweet old time growing up. It's all about you and what and WHEN you want to do something. You have taught us so much about "slowing down and taking things slow" so thank you! I love your ability to put a smile on any ones face that meets you. Happy Birthday, baby girl!






Two years later...what an amazing first two years it has been!

No, the tech was not kidding! I had twins!

What I did was drop two eggs!

Yes, they were full term (thank GOD!!) 37 weeks and had to be induced! That was a first for me. They would have stayed in there for at least 2 more weeks!

Breastfeeding went WONDERFULLY!!! (even with me being forced to go back to work at 6 weeks! yes, that's right; SIX Weeks! There should be a law..) Maggie was breastfed for 8 months and Molly for 13 months! Way to go, ladies! You make mama so proud!

No, there are no twins in my family. It was just a fluke! What a wonderful fluke it was! I am the luckiest woman ever!

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh, happy birthday to your sweet, beautiful girls!

Jill said...

Happy birthday, Maggie and Molly! Oh, those photos brought tears to my eyes. Those sweeties were beautiful newborns and now are beautiful 2 year olds!

My name is Sarah said...

Oh Maggie and Molly are so cute. I love twins. I'm singing Happy Birthday to them right now.

Chris said...

What a story!

Your girls are beautiful.