Monday, October 13, 2008

The DS Diagnosis...

+I remember when Molly was 2 weeks old, we got a call from the pediatrician stating that her newborn metabolic screen had come back positive for a rare protein disorder. At that point, I knew I was OK with the DS but not with something "medically" wrong with Molly. That came back as a false positive, thank God.

Molly also had a "perfect" heart. Her PDA was only a sliver open and the cardiologists was confident that it would close on it's own. Unfortunately, at three months of age, Molly aspirated her milk into her right lung and had to stay in the hospital for three weeks. It was during that stay that they first heard a heart murmur. To make a very long story short, because of the lung infection, this put pressure on her heart and PDA, which, in turn, opened her PDA wide open. She went to the U of M and had a clip placed via her femoral artery--no scars! That's about it for her health issues. Again, thank God.

I didn't (and don't) hurt for Molly. Molly was going to be fine. I hurt for Maggie. Wow--her twin is "mentally retarded", OMG! She will be teased in school. How cruel the world is. I hurt for all the family that came and went with tears in their eyes. That tore me apart. But not for Molly, she was going to be fine. I was sad for a second that she may never have a husband or children or go to college. But Why? I then realized that being married with children is work and challenging and she is going to live the "simple" life, the one that I long for from time to time. She will go to college, if she desires. She will be married, if she desires. Molly will be whom ever she wants to be. I just don't worry about that stuff.

I love the fact that Miss Molly is sporting an extra chromosome!

1 comment:

His Mom said...

I don't know how far back you check your comments, but I remember after your girls were born and someone told me Molly had DS with a sort of "Isn't that sad?" Kind of tome of voice.

Coming off of a 40 week loss myself that year, I didn't think it sounded sad. Working with special needs kids for the last 10 years, I knew you were in for some amazing joys. I just thought how lucky you were to have all of your children with you. I am glad to see how blessed you are through reading your blog now.