Tuesday, October 14, 2008

What the future holds.....

Ok, so I am on a roll talking about DS and what it has meant to our family and Miss Molly. I went to sleep last night thinking about her in the far away future.

Where will Molly live once she is done with high school and college??

I got an overwhelming sense of panic for a moment as we have not even started saving for this period of Molly's life. For those of you who are with me on this, what is it that you have set up? Geez, I don't even have a financial advisor.

This is something that people ask me from time to time and for the most part, I don't worry about that but this is what I have come up with. I will assume, for the time being, that she will not want to live with her mom and dad forever (but she, of course, is welcome to do so for as long as she likes). For one, she has three siblings that would be super cool to live with. When Molly was born, Austin said, "I plan on being a bachelor, she can live with me." And for two, she would get bored living here so I think some sort of home would be fun and much more fitting for her. How cool would it be for her to have "roomies" to play games and cards with and watch their favorite Monday night show? I plan on visiting some of these homes in the future, just to see how they run and what not.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

We have a revocable, special needs trust fund set up for Ruby. It's in our name, so it wouldn't hurt her later in life if she applies for social security or medical assistance. We had a lawyer set it up for us, the same who did our will. It wasn't too expensive to have done - but I do know some non-profits can help set it up.

Brett and Cindy said...

I am a mom of a 17 year old with autism and I can relate to your bit of panic. We are facing many changes right now (he is a senior) and it is scary! But you never know where life will lead you. So hang in there, enjoy every moment of everyday and watch how your kids grow. Society is becoming more and more able to help our kids and in 16 or 17 years who knows where we will be!