Friday, December 26, 2008

Two Special Girls..

As I am sure you have noticed, I have two new buttons on my sidebar. These are two girls that have captured my heart.

Zoey from Little Wonders was diagnosed with Acute Myelogenous Leukemia. in late October. Children with Down Syndrome have a higher risk of getting this form of Leukemia. The good news is that there is a 90% survival rate. The bad news is that it is an aggressive form of cancer and it needs to be treated as such so Zoey will need many rounds of chemo. Please pray for her and her long journey ahead.

I love to follow blogs about adoptions from Reece's Rainbow. Back in October for Down Syndrome Awareness month, RR blogspot sponsored a child each day. It was on October 24th that I first laid eyes on Victoria. I just fell in love with her immediately! There is just something about this little princess. I wanted to bring her home! Well, of course, we are not in a position financially to complete an adoption (it costs >$20K to complete this adoption) nor was my husband on board with this dream of mine! I don't blame him one bit. He kept telling me I was crazy as we already have four kids which is more than enough. OK, so he has a valid point. One day recently, I noticed that Victoria had "Found her Forever Family!!" I can't even tell you how excited I was that Victoria found her American Family. I must say, the family that chose her seems to be just perfect for her. The Garcia's have a 4 year old child with Down Syndrome that also had AML and is in remission! It will be 7-8 months by the time Victoria (now named Kellsey) will come home. Please keep this family in your prayers and that Kellsey will come home soon!

3 comments:

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

Thanks, Tracy! We are so excited to bring her home!!!

rickismom said...

An interesting historical sidenote:
When somedoctors in the USA several years ago first started noticing that kids with DS had a better cure rate for AML, they started looking at world statistics. Then they noticed that in France, the cure rate was not higher, but lower. Puzzled, they asked what treatment was used.
The answer>>>?
None.
They fiqured kids with DS didn't need treatment, being better off dying........

Tracy said...

Ugh! That disgusts me! How can anyone treat them that way! Ugh!