Saturday, January 17, 2009

Mommy's Soapbox Part I

Being a nurse means working with many, many woman. This also means that there is a lot of talky talky about babies and families and hopes and dreams of becoming pregnant and making and/or adding to a family.

If I hear one more person say, "I am running out of time. All too soon I will be 35 and you know what that means", I may just have to throw up!

Yes, I do know what that means! Your odds increase of having a child with down syndrome! Your life may take to most wonderful unexpected turn and be changed forever! You just might wake up everyday and be greeted by those angel eyes burning a hole through your heart! You just might feel so much love that you feel like you could explode at any minute! Heck, you might FINALLY slow down and smell the roses!!!!!!

A friend at work was saying that she would be willing to have a baby "as late as 37". I just couldn't resist and responded with, "You just might end up with a child with Down Syndrome?!" She said that she was once scared of that but since she has known me, she is no longer afraid of having a child with special needs. That meant so much to me. That I have actually shown someone that it's not as scary as it seems.

I know that people don't mean to be offensive, I do. I know that these fears are real and I do know if they ever end up in that situation it would take time to adjust and in the end, I know that they would be OK. It almost makes me sad that woman actually stop having children, even if they are not ready to, at age 35 for the fear of having a child with DS.

I will leave you with a FACT related to Down Syndrome...
The incidence of Down syndrome increases with advancing maternal age. However, 80% of children with Down syndrome are born to women under 35 years of age.

CLARIFICATION:
At times woman ARE referring to their "biological" clock (as my friend was). In this post I am referring to the comments about "something" being wrong with the baby after 35. So, Chan made a valid point and I may be a little hypersensitive regarding this subject.

1 comment:

His Mom said...

Interesting. When I hear people say the 35 thing, I often thought they meant the decrease in fertility, because that is what is spouted so often "your chances of getting pregnant drop dramtically after 35..." I never even would have thought about the down syndrom link. I have though, thought about the increase of stillbirth after that age as well (because there is also that issue as well.)