Monday, January 19, 2009

A mother's touch.

Remember the best Christmas Present ever? Inside this scrapbook my mom included a poem. It, of course, brought me to tears. It also made me really think. I mean REALLY think about how short life is and how soon my babies will no longer be babies and they will all be big and gone. I cherish every little kiss and cute little prayers, every "night, night storybook" and every piece of homework just a little bit more because all too soon, this poem will ring true for me....

To My Grown Up Daughter
My hands were busy through the day;
I didn't have much time to play
The little games you asked me-
I didn't have much time for you.
I'd wash your clothes, I'd sew and cook;
But when you'd bring me your picture book
And ask me please to share you fun,
I'd say: "A little later, daughter."

I'd tuck you in all sage at night,
And hear your prayers, turn out the light,
Then tip-toe softly to the door...
I wish I'd stayed a minute more.
For life is short, the years rush past...
A little girl grows up so fast.
No longer is she at your side,
Her precious secrets to confide.
The picture books are put away;
There are no longer games to play.
No good-night kiss, no prayers to hear---
That all belongs to yesteryear.

My hands, once busy, now are still.
The days are long and hard to fill.
I wish I could go back and do
The little things you asked me to.

No comments: