Friday, March 6, 2009

Mag Pie's Corner

Maggie still sleeps on the floor of her bedroom at night. It is the oddest thing. Back when we took her out of her crib many many months ago, we put the gate up at her door so she couldn't get out. You know, to keep her safe. The first week or so she would cry so hard about the gate being up. I felt so bad. I felt like I was punishing her and she thought she was being punished. So, I tried NOT putting the gate up. Well, Mike woke up one night at 2am and found Maggie casually walking up the stairs. So, the gate went back up. Needless to say, she has been sleeping right by the door with the gate up. Now, if you don't put the gate up, she gets upset. "Put the gate up, mommy! Put the gate up mommy." We have tried several times to try to get her to sleep in her bed with no such luck. When my friend watched her, she literally slept on the floor next to Molly.

I have been thinking of how I can get her out the habit. New bunk beds for the ladies? Two twin beds? One full size bed? Before I can do this, I have to transition Molly out of her crib to the daybed, right?? So, last night I put Molly in Maggie's converted crib to daybed so see how she would do. WRONG CHOICE!!!! Maggie totally freaked! Now, Maggie is usually a pretty good girl. Rare tantrums. Nope, not this time! All out fit! Screaming at the top of her lungs, stopping her feet and jumping up and down, crying so hard while YELLING "Molly sleep in her bed! That is MY bed. Get out, Molly! My bed!" Seriously! I was not expecting that reaction. Holy buckets, child of mine! I asked Maggie if she wanted to sleep in her bed and, of course, she says no. Lesson learned.

On a positive note, Maggie is completely potty trained. She still has an occasional accident but they are far and between one another. I feel I have defeated a great battle. Only one child left in diapers---whoo hoo! Molly sits on the potty each day. Once in a while she will piddle and not really know what is going on but I need to keep with it. My goal is to have her trained by three, which is in late September. But we all know that Molly does things on her own time. I am just hoping that she is ready to go in big girl undies come August!

1 comment:

Leah said...

Hi! I'm Leah, also in MN. Mom to 12 year old Angela who is also chromosomally enhanced. LOL Anyway, we have been there/done that with the whole transition to a bed thing! Actually, I have a family friendr who is a firefighter, and because of that am paranoid about bedroom doors being open at night. (it's a couple extra minute barrier to smoke!) So when Angela was in that stage her door was closed, with a safety knob cover on the inside. She would lay on the floor and look under the door with one eye, and say hello to the owner of whatever feet happened to walk by. LOL Finally I took her mattress and put it on the floor, along the wall nearest the door. At least she wasn't on the hard floor. Who cared if the mattress was on the floor? This lasted for a GOOD 6 months before I could put her mattress on the frame.