Tuesday, March 31, 2009

{{Spead the Word to End the Word}}

Most people don’t think of this word as hate speech, but that’s exactly what it feels like to millions of people with intellectual disabilities, their families and friends. Using "retard" as a term of derision is just as cruel and offensive as any other slur.
What It's All About Spread the Word to End the Word is raising the consciousness of society about the dehumanizing and hurtful effects of the R-word and encourage people to pledge to stop using it. America is being asked to declare their support for more respectful and inclusive language, specifically that referring to those with intellectual disabilities
.

I hope that whom ever is reading this has heard of this event that is occuring all across America today.

Yup, you guessed it, it is something that I hold dear to my heart. I must say that I am sooooo proud of my small town school today. Austin, my 14 year old, came home and told me that the school has the "Spread the Word to End the Word" posters throughout the school and there has been great discussions about it in his classes. They are having a guest speaker today to talk about this HURTFUL word. I can't wait to thank this woman named, "Kathy" who is going to get up there in front of students age 12-18 and talk about getting rid of the "R" word.

I hate the fact that "it takes one to know one". Really. I don't get offended by the stranger in Target (don't get me wrong, I still cringe at the sound but I get over it) who uses it but when it's someone I know, when it's someone that knows Molly, it just ticks me off!!! It's disrespectful to Molly. (I won't get into the "short bus" comments that I hear!) Why am I so offended? Because my sweet and Innocent daughter, who wouldn't hurt a fly is going to have to hear the "R" word several times in her lifetime and let me tell you, it won't take Molly long to figure out that this word labels HER!!! How hurtful AND disrespectful to her. It is NOT of her doing or choice that she takes longer to get the words out, or it takes longer to read, and do math. She is doing the best she can. So when I hear my friends and close family members use the "R" word when they can't figure out a problem or have a hard time with something, I take it personally.

A personal message from John C. McGinley:
Make no mistake about it: WORDS DO HURT! And when you pepper your speak with “retard” and “retarded,” you are spreading hurt. So stop it. Stop saying “retard” and “retarded.” Those words suck! You are better than that and you definitely do not need to be “that guy.”

So please, for the sake of Molly, pledge today, RIGHT NOW to use a different word...




No comments: