Friday, May 8, 2009

The Simulated Baby and The Swine Flu

A few weeks ago, Austin had to take home a high tech simulated baby. He had to wear a bracelet that was not removable. Every time the baby cried, he had to place the bracelet on the baby to let him (yes, it's a boy!!) know he was there. We could hold, feed, and help with the baby but Austin had to be within a few feet of the baby at all times. I am telling you, it was a high tech piece of equipment. Taking care of a raw egg is obviously a thing of the past.

I had a great time being "grandma" for the weekend. I totally got a kick out of Austin.
"This baby doesn't stop crying!"
"What is wrong now?!"
"Ugh! I can't even skateboard with this baby. It needs me all the time!"
I just had to laugh. and laugh. and laugh.

Then on Sunday night, the baby woke up several times(he had school that next morning). Monday night after school I asked him how his night went and he says, "I couldn't take it anymore,mom! I just couldn't take it! He woke up at 10am, 12am, 2am, and 4am! I fed him and changed him and burped him and fed him and changed him and burped him over and over, mom! He woke up at 4am and even though I knew he "shut off" at 5am, I just couldn't take it anymore and I put him in the closet! I know that was bad but I had to sleep!"

He got an 81% because of the "missed feeding"! It was so fun to watch him take care of this baby with such precision.

The Swine Flu entered Austin's school last week so between the Minnesota Department of Health and the CDC, they decided to close the school for 5 days. Austin enjoyed his time off as it was actually beautiful outside the majority of the time and he was able to go to the skate park and bike ride and just "relax". The bonus: He doesn't even have to make up the lost time at the end of the year! The countdown to the last day of school is on!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Hahaha - those babies sound awful! I remember when I forgot my egg in my science class and had to go back later & try to find it. Luckily, I've never done that with my real kids... :)

Hope you had a good Mother's Day!