Thursday, July 16, 2009

A Very Special Family w/ a prayer request

People ask me frequently why I blog. They don't get it or understand it. I started blogging because of my friend Meridith.

Her sweet little Gavin was born around the same time as Maggie and Molly. She explained that it is a great way to keep track of all those memories and thoughts throughout the kids' childhood. And that is just what I did.

But you see, I gained so much more than just blogging my memories. I realized very quickly that there are many wonderful people out there and they all have a story to tell. I became connected with families with twins, where one of which has Down Syndrome and many, many families that have a child with Down Syndrome. I now consider some of these people my "cyber friends". We have a lot in common in our day to day life. It's refreshing to see the same joys and trials from other families similar to mine.

For those of you that do not know, I am a nurse in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. To me, I have the greatest job in the world. I have the great honor of watching these tiny babies grow big and strong and go home with their families. Some thing that my job reflects sadness, and yes, at times it does. But for every one feeling of sadness, there are 100 feelings of joy and a sense of accomplishment and that it what my is really about. I think the technology that we have today, allows us to get these babies home. With this comes a great emotional and challenging time for these families and I am there, right along side of them. It's the best, really.

Now, without further a do...Meet Kaelyn. She is a beautiful baby girl that was born much too early and is in the NICU. She also just happens to have Down Syndrome.

This family is such a strong, wonderful family. I feel a special "cyber bond" with this family as I am aware of and know first hand from a medical standpoint what they are dealing with from day to day in the NICU. While I have some understanding of what they are going through emotionally in regards to the hospitalization, it I do not necessarily understand the full emotional part as I have not had a child in the NICU personally. But I, too, have a daughter with Down Syndrome. This is where I fully understand the emotional roller coaster they are on and the joys and trials they will endure in years to come.

They have allowed us to join their journey to bringing Kaelyn home. How awesome as I am sure this is not easy for them.

So go ahead and venture on over and meet Kailyn. And if your faith allows, send them a prayer for getting Kaelyn healthy and strong and home where she belongs. It may be a tough road ahead but I have faith. You just gotta!!!

4 comments:

stephanie said...

Hello, I follow Kaelyn and her family too. What a nice post you wrote about them. Just thought I'd let you know how thoughtful that was.

stephanie said...

P.S your family is beautiful!

American History said...

Keeping you and your family in our prayers. We lit a candle at the Church of the Holy Sepulcher thanks to http://HolyLandPrayer.net. God bless

Jeana said...

Thank you for the beautiful post and for sending more prayers our way. They are sustaining us in a way that is unimaginable! Kaelyn is working hard to come home. She's now gained one pound! Its crazy how big a difference one pound makes on her appearance. I totally respect the work you do in the NICU and am so glad there are amazing people like you out there that have dedicated their lives to caring for our little ones. You family is so cute!