Thursday, October 1, 2009

My First Observation


Today I went to observe Molly in here classroom. Mainly, to calm my nerves that yes, she is OK in her big classroom. And to see if she really had her very own paraprofessional.
Needless to say, I was pleasantly suprised!!
Molly does wonderful in a group setting. She was receptive to her surroundings, listened and followed directions on the first (and sometimes second but no more than that) time. She did amazing during speech. She was talking up a storm all day long. She said, "backpack" clear as day! They had her point to one of two pictures and she got them all right!
They do a LOT for/with her to boost her fine and gross motor skills (had her push a weighted cart, walking up uneven surface, spinning, scissors, coloring).
She does have her very own para. At times, helped her too much but I trust that she will back off once we get rolling.
She moves from activity to activity relatively quickly (she is only there for 2 1/2 hours). She is constantly on the move. No down time, really. By the end of the day, she is pooped out. She fell asleep in the car on the way home.
All in all, it was great experience. I am glad that she is getting what she needs. To be honest, this beats the Birth to Three program right out of the water.

2 comments:

Felicia Nigro said...

Yay big Molly! I am so excited to hear that she is doing well. It sounds like they are making her very comfortable if she is talking so much!

Jennie said...

I just know that Micah will love a group environment, too. I'm so glad to hear that Molly is thriving there.