Sunday, March 14, 2010

Hind site is 20/20


Oh, my six year old has so much spunk to him! It's a blessing and a curse all at the same time.

Gavin is in the first grade and it has been a somewhat challenging year for him. He is a "young" first grader as his birthday is in June. I really wanted to hold him back but I gave into peer pressure. I am not usually so easily persuaded and now I wish I would have stuck to my guns.

Hind site is 20/20.

He is doing well in school. Academically. He does well in math and holds his own in reading.

By the end of the year, he will be required to know 200 words, count to 1000, tell time on a regular clock, count money, and do some simple algebra. Seriously, he needs to know what we did by the end of THIRD grade. I am wondering if he will be doing Geometry in fifth grade.

It's the behavioral aspect that he struggles with. The word "ADD" has been thrown out there in the past couple of months. Not sure if I totally agree with it or if it is just his immaturity. I can't help but to wonder if those words would be spoken if we had held him back.

Hind site is 20/20.

We will make it work. We always do. We are trying some behavioral modifications to start with and see where we go.

Everyone told me that if I held him back, I would have to regrets but if we sent him, we may do just that. Regret.

Hind Site is 20/20.

I just love this little boys spirit and energy for life!


(Note: Gavin is not performing obscene gestures here. He giving you the peace sign with his winter gloves on!)

1 comment:

stephanie said...

I'm a little leery when it comes to "that" word. ADD... It' seems that teachers or doctors whomever... always need to label every little thing a child does or doesn't do. Sometimes there is no label needed. I think from the way you explained things Gavin is just, YOUNG.
And at this age it just shows up more prominently. A few month is a big difference at this age. my opinion... he is where he is, you can't change that. I would have done the same thing as you. The great thing is that academically he's doing well and i think the maturity will come in time.
Meanwhile it looks like you have a really smart firecracker on your hands! love the picture. For a very brief second I was wondering what he was gesturing, lol.