Monday, March 8, 2010

Mommy's "dream" Job



World Down Syndrome Day is coming up on March 21st. I felt this post was appropriate to honor this day.

A few friends from work and I were discussing what we would do with a million dollars or lottery winnings. Mostly if we would quite working as NICU nurses. For the most part, there is huge job satisfaction and retention in the Neonatal Intensive Care Units across the nation. So really, I can see people continuing to at least "keep their foot in the door" and continue to do what they love.

While I love my work, there is something that I love more. Yes, you all know what that is: DOWN SYNDROME

First off, I need to play the lottery in order to win the lottery. So I guess I can start there.

Secondly, once I have secured my winnings, I would not pay off my bills (OK, that is a lie, yes I would!) but I would build a daycare for children with Down Syndrome from birth to 5 years. I already have two helpers, one of them being Cory that already works with Down Syndrome adults. I know a lot of families that struggle with this. Where do they find good, quality daycare for their chromosomally enhanced child that fosters a healthy and educational environment? Well, at my daycare, of course!!

Oh, we would have soooo much fun! We would have Physical Therapy and Occupational Therapy daily with the best therapist money can buy. Then we would have music and art. I also think that Baby Signing Time will be in there somewhere, too. Oh, and it would be FREE OF CHARGE! Yes, I would do it for free!

And that would be my dream job.

What can I say? If you're gonna dream, DREAM BIG!!!!

Now, I have to remember to buy that winning lottery ticket.

6 comments:

Jennie said...

How can I enroll Micah in your daycare? :-)

shashank said...

Here is a link to more information about the genetics of Job Syndrome that was prepared by our genetic counselor and which has links to some useful resources for those dealing with this condition: http://www.accessdna.com/condition/Job_Syndrome/214. There is also a phone number listed if you need to speak to a genetic counselor by phone. I hope it helps. Thanks, AccessDNA

Becca said...

"you have to play the lottery to win the lottery'...LOL, that's my mantra! Ah, but we can dream...
I love your idea!

Shipley Family said...

Oh, can we come to the daycare too? I tried to enroll Brooke in daycare & she was declined! :( She's already being discriminated against and she's 3.

Jeana said...

I love it! Sign me and Kaelyn up! she can play and I'll volunteer.

His Mom said...

I always dream of winning the lottery and giving a stack of $$ to the Missing GRACE foundation to open the clinic they so want too to help moms who have suffered a loss like I did in their following pregnancies. (Of course, if would want Curtis' name somewhere in the title! Ha!)

That being said, I would happily work at your daycare!