Saturday, April 3, 2010

The Dental Visit

This past week, the ladies had their second dental visit of their short little lives. The first one was not so good for Molly. And Maggie did great. This time, however, not so much. God forbid we would have consistency in our lives. They are always throwing me for a loop.

The hygienist said that Molly was first. I figured that would be perfect since she was the one that had the hard time the first time around. Maggie was standing there so proud of being a "big girl" and she was going the "let" Molly go first.

Molly did fabulous! She bucked a little, like she always does but allowed the dentist to count all of her teeth and polish them. She even let her paint fluoride on her teeth!

Like I said, she did get a little bucky screaming, "oweeeee! oweeeee!" which is her interpretation on "No, I don't want to do it!" And well, OK, a little bit of mommy restraints had to be enforced. But in the end, we had accomplished our goal.

Now it was Maggie's turn.


I put Molly down and looked over at my "big girl" whom was smiling and so proud just 5 minutes earlier.

You see, I didn't think about the fact that Maggie just got done watching her sister's drama.

Poor Mag Pie. She was shaking in fear, with silent tears falling down her precious cheeks, and when I went to pick her up, I felt her heart just raising! Oh, I felt so bad. Talk about a toddler anxiety/panic attack!

I couldn't put her through it. I just couldn't! After watching her twin scream "oweee!" and buck the dentist, I knew there was NO WAY Maggie would sit in that chair. She had her teeth clenched so tight, there was no way in !@#$ we were gettin' in.

So we left. We will try it again in a month. She can go with her big brother, Austin, and see how easy it really is.

Note to self: ALWAYS have Maggie go first

1 comment:

Travis Pease said...

Children can really throw their parents in a loop during dental visits. I'm glad that Molly did great during her visit. I bet Maggie would be the same if she hadn't seen her sister's teeth cleaning procedure. That definitely caused her anxiety attack.

We actually have a 3 year old boy and a four year old girl in the family. Usually, we have one of them play in the waiting room while the others' teeth get inspected and cleaned. The dentists in Columbia, Sc that we visit has a wide array of toys that children can use to be entertained while waiting for their appointment. Also, the (Columbia) dentist speaks gentle words that can help the child relax and cooperate to finish the process.

Maybe you can bring a toy for Maggie so she can play while waiting while for her turn. I wish you a successful visit next time. Good luck!