Friday, July 30, 2010

Another subtle reminder

I have mentioned time and time again just how different my two beautiful twin daughters are.

One is Short. One is tall.

One has blue eyes. One has brown eyes.

One looks like daddy. One looks like mommy.

One has three 21st chromosomes. One only has two.

As the girls get older, I am really beginning to notice how (do I dare say it?) delayed Molly is in compared to Maggie.

Don't get me wrong (and those of you that personally know me know this to be true) I cherish and love every STINKIN' thing about Molly. She is a breath of fresh air, she can and does put a smile on anyone's face. She is such a dolly.

Nonetheless, she is delayed. That is a part of who she is. Period.

When I see them at the park, I see Maggie (whom was born 6 short minutes before her sister) running up the steps and down the slide in two seconds flat.

Molly takes a little bit longer (ok, a LOT longer! lol) to accomplish this task.

It's things like this on a day to day basis that reminds me of how different they are and watching the gap widen is an amazing journey.

Here is my reminder today:

Maggie: "Mom, I need Addison's blanket! It is for Addison only"
Me: "Where is it?"
Maggie: "In the closet"
Me: "OK, you can go in there and grab it"
Maggie: "No, I can't reach it! It is on the top shelf. The one high up. You know what I mean, mom?"
Me: "Oh, OK. I will get it down for you"
Maggie: "It is the one on the bottom. The purple one"

1) She names all of her babies and knows who is who
2) She knows where the "top and bottom" are
3) She knows her colors
4) She communicates with such ease.

This is how this would go if it were Molly asking for the blanket

Molly: "Mom!" "Mom!" "Mooooom!"
Me: "Yes, Molly?"
Molly: (signing blanket, then pointing) "blanket" (in Molly's language, of course)

Good enough for me. I enjoy watching my girls grow up to be independent little girls.

5 comments:

Becca said...

Soooo true. I have heard that it is so much harder for parents of twins (one w/Ds, one without) since they have that constant daily reminder of what they should be doing now. You've got a great outlook on this gap, Tracy, and you handle it beautifully.

Tara said...

I agree, you do have a great perspective! When I was an OT student, I did a clinical rotation in EI. I remember being in a client's home seeing a set of boy/girl twins. The girl was significantly delayed (CP, maybe?...long time ago.) and the boy was not. They were about 2yo and he was running around his sister and stealing toys while she screamed at him. I cried all the way home and decided then and there not to go into pediatrics. As the mom of six, one with something extra, I have a different perspective now, too. :) You have done wonders to help me see that memory with different eyes.

stephanie said...

i just realized I was here earlier and forgot to leave a comment. I saw the button for Lera and I was gone! LOL

I love this post. it must be such an experience to have twins, and watch them each emerge in their own wonderful way. They are both so close, as only twins can be, but on the other hand so different.

But both so stinkin cute!

HeritageHaven said...

Oh, I so enjoyed reading your blog. Thank you for sharing your wonders with us!

joven said...

beautiful blog..pls visit mine and be a follower.. thanks and God bless..

http://forlots.blogspot.com/