Friday, October 29, 2010

Gavin's First HUGE Boo-Boo!

We have a great bedtime routine. One that I am very proud of.

We have bedtime snack and bath between 7-7:30. Then the kids get to watch one show at 7:30.
8:00 we brush our teeth, read our stories and lights out by 8:30.

It's a routine that usually goes quite smoothly.
Wednesday night was anything but smooth, simple, and quiet.

At 7:40, the kids are in our bedroom watching their show and I am at the computer, reviewing our benefits for the upcoming year through FedEx (Mike's new employer) when I hear a very loud THUMP followed by an alarming cry/scream from Gavin. You can recognize your kids' cry and this was a "OMG! I am terrified! I am really hurt!" cry.

I turned to Austin and said, "We are going to Urgent Care. The girls need to go to bed at 8"."

I was quite proud of my calm nature as Gavin came down the stairs with blood oozing from the middle of his forehead and a black and blue eye that already appeared to be puffy. I guess being a critical care pediatric nurse pays off. I've been in an emergency situation a time or two.

I text Mike to let him know what's going on (he was at work) and off we went to Urgent Care.

I must admit, I was worried that he had sustained a concussion. The wound could be stitched but I was worried about his head inside. I made him stay awake on the ride there. I kept asking him questions, to ensure his speech wasn't slurred. I asked him what the date was. He was tired. He wanted to sleep. After all, it was his bedtime. I wouldn't let him.

Daddy met us at Urgent Care. We had the talk with him that we had given him a hundred times over. NO MORE MONKEYS JUMPING ON THE BED!!!

Here is what he looked like before the stitches went in.


The poor kid looks just wiped out and dead tired. He just wanted to sleep.



The MD walked in, took one look at him and said, "Yup, he needs stitches."

EIGHT of them to be exact. He didn't even flinch when the doctor put in the lidocaine. He was too busy asking 101 questions. He was quite funny, actually. He did great! Mommy and daddy are so proud of our big boy!

In the morning, the eye looked so much worse! Poor buddy!



We kept him home from school yesterday for close observation. He went back today but was quite reluctant as he didn't want everyone to ask him what happened.

He jokes he should be frank n' stein for Halloween instead of a vampire.

Not a bad idea.

6 comments:

Becca said...

Oh, poor thing!!! What a brave guy he is, too. And he's right - he may not need a costume this year!! LOL

JennyH said...

OUCH!! That looks painful. I hope it heals quickly.

Jen Thibodeau said...

OMG...I am glad to see that it was nothing more than one "BIG" booboo! Carson had the exact same; except on the eyebrow!...

Tammy said...

Dear Tracy,
I am contacting you again to find out when you will be sending the Dell computer. I really would appreciate some response to this email. I have been emailing you or contacting you through Facebook and your blog for a few months now. I am not sure why you originally told me that I had won the raffle and that you were sending me the computer and now you will no longer get in touch with me. I have contacted attorneys who have indicated to me that this is a breach of contract on your part. But I would honestly prefer not to take this route as I do not wish to put your family and my family through the hassle of a legal process. Please contact me as soon as possible and let me know how you would like to proceed.

Sincerely,
Tammy Rickabaugh-Zucker

Anonymous said...

uma linda familia,gra├žas a God(Deus),welcome sejam bem vindos ao
Brazil,sintam-se em casa quando
nos visitarem, welcome from Brazil.
my blog is:pacientes-neurolgicos.blogspot.com

Marcelo

willg said...

Ouch, glad to hear the Urgent Care in Austin was a success.