Thursday, November 29, 2012

Back on the horse!

I have not blogged in so long.  Our lives are full of adventure and there is constantly something to blog about.  When I think that I need to blog about something, I say to myself, "Dang! I haven't blogged in months and I am so behind that I can't possibly start now" My mom and mother in law are hoping for these updates.I get emails from people in the blogging world what is going on and where have I been?

Blogging is my therapy.  I love blogging.  I always have.  So, my first therapy session is here.  I will resume a post I started in September and go from there....

It's amazing how so many things in life take you by surprise...

Austin left for Boot Camp for the National Guard on June 18th.

 Really, it was no big deal.  He is 17 after all and lives independently in our basement.  He went to school, worked a lot, and spent time with his friends when he wasn't at school or work.

I, of course, knew he lived here because we would wake up to a messed up kitchen or would be woken up at 10:30 at night by my teenager asking for money that he needed for such and such by 7am.  (Do I have an ATM in my bedroom??)

Really, it was no big deal.  He would be gone for 10 weeks learning the skills to become a soldier. Not much different than now.  Really.

So, on June 17th, Mike and I took him for his last meal at his place of choice..

 
He ate so much his stomach hurt. Perfect.

The next day, I drove him up to the Brainerd airport, that would have transported him to the Minneapolis airport and then to Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri.


No big deal. I've got this.

"Don't Cry! Don't Cry!"
 Not so much! After THREE days, Austin finally found himself in Fort Leonard Wood. Long story. It was a complete Goat Rodeo getting him there to say the least. 

During those three days, we exchanged many text messages.  Then.....silence.

Followed by even more silence.....

I was able to talk to Austin for 15 minutes THREE STINKIN' TIMES during his 10 week stay at FLW.

It was hard.  Very hard.  He was essentially getting his butt kicked by drill Sargent's in 100+ degree heat.

Every. Single. Day!! Yet, I could not talk to him. To support him. To encourage him. It.Killed.Me.

It was hard. 

The day finally came that I was able to see my boy.  His graduation from Boot Camp.

Mike, Gavin, and I made the 15 hour treck to Missouri.  (Stopped in to spend some time with my bestie from High School---total bonus! More on that later!)

Words cannot depict the emotions that I felt that day.  The moment I saw him. My hear and soul were swelling with pride.  Remember, he did this on his own initiative.  No influence on me or Mike.


So.Damn.Proud!!!

This child, gave up his entire summer between his junior and senior year to become a soldier.

Wow! There really are no words.

He is an amazing kid. I love who he has become.  He is so hardworking and respectful. I would like to take some credit here but not sure if I can. 

I know, I know, brag, brag, brag.  Let the blogging world see all the happy and sappy stuff.  But really, I am one proud mama! Yup.

End of story. No apologies needed.




8 comments:

Becca said...

Wow, so great to see you back!! And BIG congratulations to Austin!! That's a HUGE accomplishment!

Stephen Hayes said...

You have a right to be proud, and I'm sure you can take a little credit for this upstanding young man. Well done, Mom.

AubreyTeagan said...

Please let me know if he deploys so I can send him care packages! Amie Stark (FP at SCH).

sovereignfunding1021 said...

Thanks for sharing it and a huge smile is wide across my face!Please also visit on these hypertext keywords for annuity sale:--- money for settlement | lump sum cash settlement | sell my structured settlements | | cash for settlement payment

Cumberland Harbour said...

Thanks for sharing such a blog!!!!!

sachin kashyap said...

Book Luxury Serviced Apartments Noida luxury lodging have currently started introduction luxury homes, whenever with a invention new arrange, a invention product new fashion. The growing order for luxury homes in a luxury serviced apartment in gurgaon and superior gurgaon has enthused them tons to need the arrange.

ออนไลน์ช้อปปิ้งประเทศไทย said...

I hope you will enjoy very well at all time. I will respect of you and your family.

Jura Coffee Machines said...

Thanks for sharing this interesting blog dude.